Ucan2 is a nine-week program delivered at TAFE to young people who are Australian Migrant English Program students. The program focuses on employment and developing education skills with a focus on emotional well-being and increasing meaningful connections.
The program has been designed by our sister agency in Victoria, Foundation House, with the aim of addressing the distinct stressors that young migrants from a refugee background experience in settlement to Australia.
Volunteers participate in the social network-building component of this program by attending nine, weekly afternoon sessions.
The Homework Club supports high school students and some tertiary students aged between 12 and 24 years old. We rely on volunteer tutors to support students in understanding, researching and completing their homework. The purpose is to support the students without actually doing the work for them.
At all times, students should be encouraged to undertake and complete homework tasks independently. Tutors can assist students in learning how to research a homework assignment, how to understand the questions they are being asked, and how to best present their work.
You can tutor in any subject/s you feel comfortable with.
Homework Club is currently offered at two locations:
– QPASTT Homework Club at 28 Dibley Street Woolloongabba. Homework Clubs runs on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 3.00 and 5.00 pm. Tutors volunteer during the school term for one or more afternoons each week.
– QPASTT & MyVision Homework Club at the Inala PCYC, Swallow Street, Inala. Tutors volunteer during the school term on Thursday afternoons between 3.00 and 5.00 pm.
3. QPASTT Community Garden
QPASTT has received funding under the Cultivating Community Garden Grants Scheme to establish and maintain an edible community garden.
Our aim is to create a therapeutic space for refugees who are living within the broader Brisbane community, to work in and enjoy.
Volunteers can help out by
- imparting gardening knowledge and skills,
- working in the garden alongside clients,
- assisting with sourcing our gardening needs.
For more information about volunteering at Homework Club, Ucan2 or the Community Garden, please email email@example.com